|The Arizona Department of Transportation is beginning preliminary work for Phase 2 of the Interstate 19/Ajo Way traffic interchange project.
Some of the key elements to the $32 million project include:
- Reconstruction and widening of southbound I-19 within the project area
- Construction of a “braided” ramp alignment with the southbound Ajo Way on-ramp to I-19 passing over the southbound Irvington Road off-ramp from I-19
- Widening of northbound I-19 to add an auxiliary lane between Irvington Road and Ajo Way
- Completion of I-19 noise walls south of Michigan Avenue and along the south side of Ajo Way between Kostka Avenue and I-19
- Completion of drainage improvements and improved drainage collection features
- Replacement of the Michigan Avenue pedestrian bridge
- Replacement of the Santa Cruz River Bridge on Ajo Way
- Reconstruction and widening of Ajo Way from Holiday Isle to I-19
- Construction of bank protection and the new Rodeo Wash outlet into the Santa Cruz River
- Applying a rubberized-asphalt pavement overlay on I-19 from Irvington Road to north of Ajo Way
Work is expected to continue through early 2020.
Additional notices will be sent when traffic shifts and lane closures begin.
Drivers should proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down and watch for construction personnel and equipment.